This seaweed wrap/pocket/thing is currently trending all over Instagram. At least that was where I first saw this. And I do not really know what this is really called. I tried to Google it and I came up with different photos of sushi wrap and body spa seaweed wrap. LOL! I tried seaweed pocket — don’t ask what came up and definitely not seaweed square or triangle. If you know the official name, please me know. I call this seaweed pocket because a variety of ingredients are placed on the seaweed then the seaweed is folded into a neat square that also resembles a pocket.
I was so thrilled and got really excited to make this for many different yummy reasons. First, I love sushi even though traditionally this does not qualify as sushi but it has the flavors. It is delicious, filling, easy, fun, etc. etc.
Seaweed Pocket with Chicken Sausage, Fried Egg and Rice
- Nori seaweed sheets (for making sushi)
- Steamed rice
- Fried Egg
- Sausage or protein of choice (I used Filipino chicken sausage here called “longganisa.”)
- Tomato, cucumber and/or avocado
- Toppings: Furikake (Japanese condiment topping), sriracha, chives, etc (optional)
- Cook all of your ingredients: cook the rice, fry the sausage and egg, cut the tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Divide the seaweed into 4 quadrants by folding the seaweed into fourths.
- Unfold on a flat DRY surface.
- Cut the seaweed in the middle using a pair of scissors but do not cut all the way through. Cut only up until the middle horizontal line.
- Arrange the ingredients on each square in this manner:
- Bottom left square: steamed rice
- Top upper left square: fried chicken sausage
- Top right square: fried egg
- Bottom left square: sliced tomato and cucumber
5. Fold each square on top of each other until it resembles a pocket. Better yet, please refer to the photos below. 🙂
Now wasn’t that fun?! It was also delicious and filling. This seaweed pocket is portable and convenient as snack or full meal.
The seaweed is like a canvas. Sky’s the limit with what you do create. I already have plans to practice my creativity and come up with delicious combinations. Below are some of my future seaweed pocket ideas. Please share your fun ideas by leaving a comment below!
- Kimchi rice, Spam (maybe, although I do not really eat spam unless it’s in musubi), fried egg, avocado and sriracha
- Garlic rice, beef or tofu, fried egg, cucumber and tomatoes
- Sushi rice, tempura shrimp, avocado, soy sauce and wasabi