I am thrilled to share my recipe for Summer Strawberry Raspberry Jam Cake. After baking for quite a bit now, I recognize good recipes as I am slowly learning more about baking such as there are basic ingredients specific to a type of pastry or bread. (I have been stalking food blogs!) And good practices to baking (such as to NEVER overmix your batter!).
With hours of reading inspiring food blogs and hours of baking loaves of banana bread, (my banana breads are now quite a rave among the recipients including Mr Sweetie) I am amazed myself that I was able to put together this easy cake recipe. It is moist with a nice hint of almond, not overly sweet and has a nice texture because of almond meal. It is very easy to make as well:
SUMMER STRAWBERRY RASPBERRY JAM CAKE
- 1 cup *almond meal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 c half and half
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (sliced)
- 6 teaspoons raspberry jam
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease square 8×8 baking pan.
- Mix almond meal and self-rising flour together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, half and half, and almond extract to butter and sugar.
- Mix until combined.
- Fold almond meal and self-rising flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Pour half the batter into the baking pan. Scatter half a cup of strawberry slices on the batter.
- Pour the remaining batter on top of the first half.
- Put the rest of strawberries on batter. Just push them down a little into the batter.
- Put dollops of raspberry jam all over the batter, about 1/2 a teaspoon each.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for about 8 minutes before slicing.
- Using a colander, dust with of powdered sugar.
There you go! An easy delicious summer cake, and with less gluten as well because of the almond meal. (But please do not quote me on that. I am not a nutritionist.) I do not think I will ever find myself baking a pretty birthday cake but who knows, right?! Maybe, one day! Enjoy!
- You may use vanilla extract if you do not have almond extract on hand.
- You may also use other types of milk if you want instead of half and half.
- Almond meal and almond flour can be used interchangeably according to this webite.