Funny story: This recipe calls for Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). Before I put the muffins in the oven, I tasted the dough. (Licking the batter from the spoon is my newly acquideveloped while sheltering in place. Ha! Ha!) I thought that the dough tasted funny. After I baked the muffins, I could hardly wait to eat them. I thought that they tasted good except that they also tasted slightly like chicken adobo. (Chicken adobo is a Filipino dish making use of lots of garlic as one of its main ingredients.) I ate about two muffins to try to figure out where the strange taste was coming from. Then I happened to glance at the bottle of EVOO on my counter. I realized that I used garlic-infused EVOO by mistake! Booo!
Anyway, I made the muffins again and they turned out delicious. I made sure that I used the right EVOO! Mr Sweetie and my team mates raved about these banana blueberry muffins. They were moist and full of bursting blueberries in every bite. The bananas made the muffins moist while the buttermilk added richness.
This recipe has been inspired by Inspired Taste’s Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffin recipe. I made my own revisions. Thank you, Inspired Taste. Below is how I made my version of Banana Blueberry Muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large ripe mashed bananas (or 1 cup mashed bananas)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease muffin tin with butter or nonstick spray.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl — flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the wet ingredients until blended — Extra Virgin Olive Oil, mashed bananas, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the bowl with dry ingredients until combined but do not overmix.
- Gently fold in the blueberries as to not overmix.
- Fill muffin tin until 3/4 full. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- These are indeed healthyish muffins because the recipe uses olive oil instead of butter.
- This is also easier to make because unlike butter that needs softening before mixing, olive oil is much easier to add.
Stay tuned for another Blueberry Muffin Recipe that is really good. (Well, maybe because of the butter in it!) Coming soon!