15. Beautiful Moments With My Parents
(Sleepover At My House And Exploring San Francisco)
During the last week, our home life has revolved around getting ready for my parents’ 3 day visit at my house. The BF was such a trooper– not only did he stay until 3 am on Saturday morning painting the bathroom, slept for 5 hours then continued painting again. Then he graciously gave me space to really enjoy my parents by staying at his family’s house for 3 days. It was one of the most beautiful presents that he has given me.
It was not like the house was a mess. The truth is I am such a neat-freak and slightly OCD. I am just so excited that my mom and dad are staying at my house for 3 days.
Here are the highlights of their visit:
- DAY 1: Took my parents shopping at Cost Plus at Jack London Square after I picked them up from my sister’s house in San Jose. Mom went crazy-shopping.
- Mom and dad finally got to eat the jook, rice rolls and chinese broccoli that they have been craving for at Gum Kuo at Oakland Chinatown.
- Took them to my house. All the hard work paid off. They commented that my house is clean and looked beautiful. [Words that I wanted to hear from my parents. 🙂 ] Of course, this did not prevent my mom from cleaning my house all over again! Like mother, like daughter = neat freaks!
- DAY 2: My parents slept in until almost 9 am which they rarely do. They said they slept soundly and comfortably.
- Pancakes and omelette breakfast at Black Bear Diner in Emeryville. My mom really loved the veggie omelette and hashbrowns.
- A quick stop at the Golden Gate Windmill for my mom who loves flowers.
- Hiking at Ocean Beach with my parents. My dad was really pleased with himself for walking all the way to the Golden Gate lookout.
- A quick lunch of hot chocolate and bagel, goat cheese and lox at the gift shop while having a breathtaking view of Sutro baths. My parents enjoyed browsing through the history of this part of San Francisco.
- Nap time for the parents at around 2pm who wanted to go home first. I had this genuis idea of taking them to the Alamo Park – home of the Painted Ladies. (Remember Full House?) I let them sleep for an hour while I went strolling, woke them up, took a couple of pics then off we went to the next destination.
- Took my parents shopping at TJ Maxx at SoMA. Mom went crazy shopping again!
- Had to scratch off Japan Town on the list for dinner. Dinner of tempura and salmon sashimi at Shimizu Sushi – a neighborhood Japanese restaurant.
- Parents were pleased and happy with our San Francisco adventures.
- DAY 3: Dad and I picked up a box of pastries at Rockridge and ate it at home for breakfast over tea and coffee.
- Spent the day at Oakland Chinatown buying bazillion dim sum which they took back to my sister’s house in San Jose.
- Late lunch at 3 pm of hamburger, fries and onion rings at Barney’s on Piedmont. Dad was craving “good burger” not fast food. He enjoyed the burger and finished half while my mom and i just watched. We were still too full from breakfast!
- A quick stop at Trader Joes for cheese (dad), strawberry mochi (baby nephew) and sunflowers (for me).
- Brought my parents back to San Jose. I was exhausted but super-happy. Passed out when I got home.
Such a long TMI post but I want to always remember these days. Being able to spend these 3 days with my parents is such a rare treat. To be able to enjoy my parents in their old age is one of the biggest blessings of my life, and I treasure every moment.
08.17-19,2014, Sunday – Tuesday