LIAISON HOTEL, Washington DC: March 13 -15, 2013
Liaison is playful, trendy yet classy at the same time. The ambiance is true to its name–dark and mysterious with contemporary chic furniture and earth tone palatte. The funny B&W photographs of a young girl and older bald man in a tryst all over DC were comical, including the one where he was lying to his wife on the phone. I just wish there is a huge picture showing his wife beating his butt after she caught his cheating ass. It is all in good fun.
The stylish waiting area shares a bar with the hotel restaurant, Art & Soul. Even though the area was small, it was inviting and with plenty of plush seatings for lounging around. Happy Hour is from 4 pm – 7 pm. Prepare to share the space with lobbyists in power suits and tourists.
I stayed in a room with a king-sized bed on the 9th floor facing the back alley.
– Chic room with retro couch & wall to ceiling mirror
– The bed with oversized padded headboard was a little too firm for me but I slept well.
– Lots of pillows & fluffy towels
– Complimentary internet at check-in but I did not use it
– Hair dryer & Iron/ing board
– Flat-screen TV (w/c I never turned on) & iPod dock
– G & S Sprout Out toiletries (smelled and felt nice!)
– Delicious room service from Art & Soul
– Horrible tasting coffee pod
– No robe and no fridge
– Rooms are not small but not spacious, either. Perfect for a solo traveler but might be a little tight for a couple.
– White bulbs! Love saving energy but HATE! HATE! HATE! blinding white bulbs!
Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The bartender was funny and made me a nice cosmo after a nerve-wrecking presentation. Delicious room service came from Art & Soul down below and was delivered in ~25 minutes as stated.
GOOD TO KNOW:
1. The hotel is right next to a fire station and right across from Hyatt Regency. Roof-top pool for hot nights but I did not see it.
2. Perfect location! 1 block away from the Capitol where you can start the 2.5 mile walk to National Mall where you will pass by the monuments: Washington, WW2, Lincoln Memorial, etc.
3. 2 blocks away from the Union Station and Smithsonian’s Postal Museum.
4. Starbucks across the street and liqour store next door to get your H20 and vino.
5. Liaison is the home of Art & Soul restaurant featuring nouvelle soul food cuisine whose chef, Chef Art Smith, has two James Beard Awards under his sleeves.
6. Book your room on Affinia Group’s site and get a complimentary cocktail of your choice at the bar.
Room Rates: $270 to $309/night (Thank God for expense account!)
A delicious stay!